With decreased or no kidney function, waste from blood is not filtered and toxins build up leading to higher levels of creatine, potassium, sodium and phosphorus. These can be deadly if not contained through #CKD friendly diet. Let's discuss on #dialysis diet today. A person who has has a #transplant will have more freedom with diet than one on dialysis.
🚩 Red flags for #Dialysis diet
Too much sodium can be harmful to those with #CKD as kidneys cannot filter out excess sodium.
As sodium level build up in the bloodstream, it may cause
* Increased thirst.
* Swelling in the legs, hands, and face
* High blood pressure .
* Heart failure: excess fluid in the bloodstream can overwork your heart.
* Fluid can build up in the lungs, making it difficult to breathe.
* Avoid packaged foods with high sodium. Canned foods are always high sodium.
* Stay away from chips and wafers.
* Skip pickles and papad.
When kidneys fail they no longer remove excess potassium.
High potassium in the blood is called hyperkalemia which can cause:
* Muscle weakness
* An irregular heart beat
* Slow pulse
* Heart attacks
* Avoid foods with high potassium such as Bananas, Citrus fruits, Mangoes, Beans.
* Regular blood tests to monitor potassium levels will further guide on diet management.
* Those with high potassium must alert their Dialysis technician and ask K- free Dialysis.
Phosphorus is an important mineral that maintains our bones. But with kidney failure, phosphorus levels build up. Excess phosphorus can cause :
* Bones to leak calcium and making them weak.
* Calcium deposits in heart, lungs and eyes.
* Foods with high protien usually are high phosphorus too. Always check labels
* Meat, Milk and Milk products, Fast food, Dark colas are high phosphorus. Avoid them.
People on Dialysis have decreased or no urine output. Hence fluid intake has to be restricted. Excess fluid can lead to :
* Load on heart
* Ask your doctor on fluid intake limit. It will depend on how much urine output you have.
* Measure your fluid intake daily. Should include all liquids like tear, coffee, daals, buttermilk etc.